We add efficiencies to our distribution:
- Efficiency is important. Tropicana's refrigerated rail cars are 3x more fuel efficient than other over-the-road alternatives
- We partner with great organizations to ensure we're working towards minimizing our impact from distribution. PepsiCo has set an industry standard by ensuring 100% of our transportation needs are executed by the US Environmental Protection Agency's SmartWay carriers and affiliates.
We manage our carbon footprint:
- We care about our carbon footprint and in 2009 garnered front page recognition in the NYT Business Section for it.
- We use green fertilizer! Tropicana launched PepsiCo's first low-carbon agriculture initiative when we began piloting low-carbon fertilizers on orange groves, and it's big news! We've been featured in Time Magazine for that effort.
We use renewable energy:
- Our Tropicana plant in Ft. Pierce, Florida has the single largest source of renewable energy in the PepsiCo North American business - landfill gas. It feeds the plant's boiler and provides 17% of the required gas, equivalent to powering 3,000 homes!.
We've consistently working to reduce our use of non-renewable resources:
- We've decreased our use of electricity by 58% since 2004. That's a great change in the right direction.